Xton Access Manager (XTAM) Secure Session Video Recordings
XTAM provides the ability to video record remote sessions which then can be used to monitor or investigate all activity that has taken place during this session. In combination to the Video recordings, XTAM also generates Keystroke and Clipboard recordings that are can be used to quickly locate and “jump” to this event in the video itself.
Session Video Recordings are available immediately after the Remote Session is completed and can be viewed with the following methods:
- Instant Video Playback: This option will instantly play the recorded video directly in your browser without requiring a conversion or export operation.
- Convert to AVI or Convert to MOV: (Web browser created sessions only) This option will convert the video into an .avi or .mov video file so that it can be given to users outside of XTAM.
- Download (zip): (SSH proxy sessions only) This option will download the typescript recorded session in a native format (individual metadata, timing and typescript files). These files can be used for playback using the native Linux scriptreplay command.
- Jump to Recording: From the Session Events report, use the Jump to Recording option to automatically open the video playback where the playhead will be placed at the beginning of this keystroke or clipboard event. This option is only available when the session was recorded.
XTAM Permissions are used to define which sessions are recorded by default and which sessions have recording enabled via the user’s choice. When configuring your Session Control permissions, the following options are available for Principals (users or groups):
- None: The principal may not connect to the remote computer.
- Connect (Always Recording): The principal may connect to the remote computer and their session will always be recorded.
- Connect (Optionally Recording): The principal may connect to the remote computer and can choose whether their session is recorded or not.
- Connect (No Recording): The principal may connect to the remote computer and their session will not be recorded.
Video Recordings are accessible from the following locations and requires an account with either Owner, Auditor or System Administrator privileges.
- From the Record: Open the Record and navigate to Sessions > Recording and use the Action button to choose your playback option.
- From the Sessions Report: Locate or Search for the Record and then use the Recording’s Action button to choose your playback option.
- From the Session Events Report: Locate or Search for the Keystroke or Clipboard event and then use the Action button to select the Jump to Recording option.
- From My Sessions: Navigate to Management > My Sessions, locate or search for the Record and then use the Recording’s Action button to choose your playback option.
By default, video recordings are stored in a directory within your XTAM installation location. If you would like to change this location to a new path (for example, a network share or external drive), please see the steps required here.
Session Recording Retention
All session recording video files are stored indefinitely, however if you would like to implement a retention schedule for these video recordings then please configure the option described below.
Login to XTAM as a System Administrator
Navigate to Administration > Settings > Parameters > Session Recording Retention
Enter a value (defined in Days). XTAM will delete all session video recordings after this specified number of days. A value of 0 (zero) will disable the retention schedule.
Click the Save button next to this option.