Import KeePass v2 Entries into the XTAM Identity Vault
KeePass Password Safe is very popular free client side password management tool which is efficient in managing personal accounts and passwords in a secure way; however, it does not scale well for multi-user or corporate use. If you are planning the transition from KeePass to XTAM, then our built-in utility provides an easy method to preserve entries, group hierarchy and smart detection of entry types.
To Import a KeePass v2 Export into XTAM:
Create your KeePass version 2 export using its native Export option. When exporting, you may either export the entire Database or a selected Group, use the format KeePass XML (2.x).
After the export has been generated, login to XTAM with either a System Administrator account or Owner to the folder that will be used for Import.
Navigate into the XTAM folder (or vault) that will be the import location and select the Manage > Import option from this folder’s toolbar.
Click Select File to then choose your KeePass .xml export file for import.
Finally, click the Import button to begin the process.
After the import is complete, review the results to ensure all objects were imported successfully.
The KeePass Import Utility includes the following mapping guidelines:
- KeePass Groups are created as XTAM Folders, including its root Database.
- KeePass Group and Entry Notes are created as XTAM Folder or Record Description.
- KeePass Entry URL are created as XTAM Record Host or URL. If the KeePass URL is blank, then the Title will be used instead.
- KeePass Entries located in a Group named Windows are created as XTAM Records using the Windows Host record type. If needed, you change the Record Type after the import is complete by using the Bulk Action > Update option.
- KeePass Entries located in a Group named Unix, Linux or Network are created as XTAM Records using the Unix Host record type. If needed, you change the Record Type after the import is complete by using the Bulk Action > Update option.
- KeePass Entries located in any other named Group are created as XTAM Records using the WEB Portal record type. If needed, you change the Record Type after the import is complete by using the Bulk Action > Update option.
- KeePass Entry References, History, String Fields, Attachments or any other properties not mentioned above are unsupported.